Ability Focus Occupational Therapy take a family centred and functional approach to therapy.
This means that we want to work WITH you and not just ‘tell you’ what is going to happen. We understand that there are often competing priorities and commitments so it is important to us that families feel comfortable to talk openly with us.
Feedback from our families has helped us develop a 2 part process to get the most out of your appointment time:
Parent Consultation (first appointment)
The OT will meet with you via Zoom, without your child present. This enables us to:
- talk about your concerns and goals openly
- avoid discussing sensitive information in front of your child
- better plan for specific areas to assess during the next appointment
- focus on developing a rapport with your child when we meet for the first time
Child Assessment (second appointment)
The OT will meet you and your child in our clinic. We will:
- play games together to ensure your child is engaged and comfortable
- observe your child performing various tasks and activities
- use standardised and non-standardised assessment methods to identify your child’s specific challenges, and help to measure their progress throughout their treatment
- provide a summary outlining the goals and recommendations for ongoing treatment and/or strategies to implement at home or school
School Readiness Screener
Our 30 minute school-readiness assessment is specifically designed for children getting ready to start ‘big school’.
It focuses on skills that are expected for a successful start to Kindergarten, and provides a snapshot of your child’s development in these areas. These areas involve functional tasks and activities that occur in a typical school day.
Places are limited, so get in touch to register your child for your January 2023 screener.